1 whole chicken, cut up (I like dark meat, so I use leg and thigh pieces only)
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tablespoons sea salt
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon ground pepper
2 red onions, sliced lengthwise
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup dry red wine or chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To clean chicken, remove any fat pieces. Take the neck, giblets, and liver and reserve. Rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry.
- In a small dish, combine the rosemary, sea salt, garlic, and black pepper. Rub the mixture all over the chicken pieces on both sides and let sit for at least one hour. TIP: can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance for flavors to take hold. Cover the chicken and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place the neck, giblets, and liver on the bottom of the roasting pan. Sprinkle the sliced onions on top.
- Place the chicken pieces on top of the onions.
- Mix together the balsamic vinegar and wine. Pour over the chicken.
- Roast for approximately 1 hour, checking for done-ness.
- Serve the pieces with the onion and balsamic mixture from the bottom of the pan.