Did you know that pumpkin a low glycemic and very healthy for you? It is!
The prep for this recipe is quick and easy too.
I package Jimmy Dean sausage (I used sage flavor)
1 cup onion, minced
1 – 2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoons dried sage
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional – I did not use)
2-3 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped (optional- I did not use)
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
6 cups chicken broth, organic and low sodium
1 cup heavy cream
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Brown sausage in a tablespoon of butter, drain if needed, then add the onion, garlic, sage and mushrooms and saute until done.
- Add pumpkin to this mixture and mix well.
- Then stir in the broth and mix well. Simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and water and simmer on low another 10-15 minutes.
- Give a sprinkle of salt and pepper as needed.
- You can put a dollop of creme fraiche in the middle if you’d like, it would add a snazzy touch – but it’s not necessary. The soup is more than delicious all on its own.
Optional Variation: Swap the Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage for 2 pounds Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage, casings removed and follow recipe.