I am a crunch girl and I LOVED eating granola. I eat a bowl of this low carb granola with unsweetened almond or coconut milk – a delicious and satisfying breakfast or snack!
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup raw pecans
1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- Heat oven to 300 F. Cover baking sheet with sides with a silicon mat or greased parchment paper.
- Roughly chop the nuts. You can do this in a food processor, but if you do, start with the harder nuts — the almonds in this recipe or filberts (hazelnuts) if you use them. Once they are chopped up a bit you can add the softer nuts (walnuts, pecans). Otherwise the softer ones will become meal before the hard ones are chopped.
- Melt the butter or coconut oil – you can microwave it in the bowl you’re going to use for mixing (although you can mix right on the baking sheet), if you wish.
- Mix the syrup and coconut oil or butter together.
- Combine the nuts, coconut, seeds, and salt. If you’re doing this on the baking sheet, add the water first and mix (hands work best), and then the oil/butter and syrup mixture. Otherwise, just combine it all in a bowl and turn out onto the baking sheet. Press into an even layer.
- At this point, it’s good to taste it. It’s going to end up tasting a little less sweet, so judge your own desire for sweetness and add more if you want.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Twice during the baking, stir the mixture with a large spoon and press back down. After the second time, don’t move it around any more. Bake until fragrant and lightly browned on the surface.
- Let cool completely in pan. It will crisp as it cools. Store in sealed container.