I found this recipe in the book: The Sexy Forever Food Bible by Suzanne Somers. I simply swapped the olive oil for grapeseed oil since it has a higher flashpoint when heated.
2 firm medium eggplants (about 2 pounds)
2 quarts grapeseed oil
sea salt and black pepper
2 cups basic Italian tomato sauce
1 pound mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1 cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed & roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully cut eggplant lengthwise into very thin slices.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or deep fryer to about 360 degrees F.
- Fry 2 or 3 slices of eggplant at a time until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes.
- Drain the slices on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Continue until all the eggplant is fried and is drained well on paper towels.
- Spoon several tablespoons of the tomato sauce into a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish.
- Layer half the fried eggplant over the sauce.
- Spoon another thin layer of sauce over the eggplant, cover eggplant with half the mozzarella, then sprinkle with half the Parmesan cheese.
- Layer the rest of the eggplant, the rest of the tomato sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbling and melted, about 40 minutes.
- Let the casserole cool for about 10 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.